Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: Victory for UNH in opener
Casey DeSmith, a junior out of Rochester, is expected to get the start in the championship game of the tournament tonight.
DeSmith played well and was hot from the start of the season and started all but one UNH game last year.
Coach Dick Umile said during the preseason that he expected Wyer to push DeSmith for playing time.
Senior defenseman and captain Eric Knodel scored UNH's first goal of the season on a big slap shot with 5:33 left in the first period and the Wildcats picked up one goal from each of their top three lines.
Smith, who centered a line for Willows and junior Casey Thrush, played in only two games last season. He scored a pair of goals in UNH's 6-3 exhibition win over Acadia last week.
UNH's first lead on Friday night was short-lived.
James de Haas scored a power play goal for Clarkson less than a minute and a half after Knodel opened the scoring.
Willows scored the only goal of the second period and sophomore Dan Correale got one in the third.
Clarkson scored the one goal in five power play chances. UNH was zero-for-four with the man advantage.
The Wildcats won their first four games last season.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Outrage du jour Garcia, Sullivan and victimhood - 30
- Cyber Monday alarm: The sales tax monster rises - 7
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 1
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 3
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options