Feds' stated reason for closing WMNF campgrounds irks operator
But when they put up notices saying they were closed due to "health and safety" concerns, that was the final blow.
Tower, president of Pro Sport Inc., estimates he'll lose $50,000 from the early shutdown of the 21 campgrounds and one recreation area he operates in the White Mountain National Forest under contract with the federal government. He's also spending an additional $13,000 in payroll to keep his employees on this past week.
"I'm trying to be civil, but it's not easy when you see that."
"The campgrounds have never been quieter and safer. We've taken really rowdy campgrounds and made them safe for families to come, knowing they're going to be safe and they're going to be quiet."
Instead, his staff has been turning away angry campers from all the areas since last Wednesday. Friday night, he said, "two group of cars came in. They were at the gate and they were mad as hell they couldn't come in."
Tower said local WMNF federal employees are also upset about what's going on.
Go to newhampshire.com for holiday weekend event and foliage information. Just click the outdoors tab at the top of the site.
- KORN Take On The 'Haters' With New Fan-assisted Video - 0
- Proposed Hike Safe Card Rule Hearing Set for September 8 - 0
- Mr. Mac's announces a new fundraiser program - 0
- Loeb School Seeks 1st Amendment Award Nominees - 0
- Loeb School offers Public Speaking Workshop Sept 13th - 0
- Conservation Officers and OHRV Safety Instructor Honored - 0
- Ted Nugent wraps up summer 'SHUTUP&JAM!' Tour with Sold-Out Concert benefitting The 'Show Of Support Memorial' For Our Troops - 0
- Folk legend John Gorka live in concert at the Peterborough Players Theatre - 0
- Goffstown resident obtains driveway permit waiver, but still questions practice - 0
Billy Ray Cyrus joins Dave Stewart, Martina McBride and an all-star crowd for 'The Beatles' 50th at the Bowl' Aug. 22-24 at the Hollywood BowlREADER COMMENTS: 0
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen
NH business taxes among highest, study finds
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
AG asked to investigate Hemingway campaign donations after complaint filed by Grantham attorney with Sununu ties