Feds' stated reason for closing WMNF campgrounds irks operator
But when they put up notices saying they were closed due to "health and safety" concerns, that was the final blow.
Tower, president of Pro Sport Inc., estimates he'll lose $50,000 from the early shutdown of the 21 campgrounds and one recreation area he operates in the White Mountain National Forest under contract with the federal government. He's also spending an additional $13,000 in payroll to keep his employees on this past week.
"I'm trying to be civil, but it's not easy when you see that."
"The campgrounds have never been quieter and safer. We've taken really rowdy campgrounds and made them safe for families to come, knowing they're going to be safe and they're going to be quiet."
Instead, his staff has been turning away angry campers from all the areas since last Wednesday. Friday night, he said, "two group of cars came in. They were at the gate and they were mad as hell they couldn't come in."
Tower said local WMNF federal employees are also upset about what's going on.
Go to newhampshire.com for holiday weekend event and foliage information. Just click the outdoors tab at the top of the site.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Danville stonemason John Wilder sees potential in every rock - 0
- Annual Witch Way 5K returns to Bedford - 0
- Thousands flock to Berlin's annual RiverFire Festival - 0
- Despite accidental shooting, officials say mandatory education has made hunting safer - 5
- Hunters report 33 percent success rate in opening weekend of 2014 moose season - 0
- Edmund P. Daley remembered as a strong supporter of the Santa Fund - 0
- Head of YWCA New Hampshire leaving post - 0
- James Foley's parents accept award after documentary screening in Portsmouth - 0
- Mount Jasper work celebrated with trailhead ceremony - 0
Head of YWCA New Hampshire leaving post
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Win tickets to see the Amazing Nano Brothers
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar