Home » Sports » College Sports
College Football: Wildcats desperate for a win
The problem is, the Wildcats are off the mark a bit in the most important category.
UNH scored 34.1 points a game last year and is at 32.2 through its first four.
“They’re a good football team,” said UNH coach Sean McDonnell. “They’re a lot like us. They haven’t been able to put their finger on some things and get rolling.”
“I think they’re better offensively than they were a year ago,” he said. “They have so much balance. They have so many weapons. They legitimately go four deep at running back.”
One of the top Wildcat weapons, junior quarterback Andy Vailas of Bedford, has been slowed in practice this week by a knee injury sustained last week against Towson. He sat out a couple of series in the game and then returned.
Goldrich has completed 13 of his 20 passes this season for 204 yards and two touchdowns and has thrown one interception.
The Wildcats are allowing 32.2 points a game this season. Last year, they gave up 30.2.
“Defensively, they’re a little like us,” Trainer said. “Sometimes you watch them and they’re brilliant. Other times, people are getting big plays on them.”
This year they are scoring 16.8 and allowing 24.3.
Rhode Island lost one of its key offensive players when senior running back Justin Semmes went down with a season-ending knee injury in a 31-14 loss at Brown last week.
Rhode Island senior quarterback Bob Bentsen has completed 99 of his 167 passes (59.3 percent) for 918 yards and five touchdowns with four interceptions.
Dartmouth looks for its first Ivy League win of the season today in a home game against undefeated Yale.
The Big Green are 1-2 overall and 0-1 in the league and lost at Penn, 37-31 in four overtimes, last week.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up