Home » News » Public Safety
Two hiking fatalities in NH, both victims in their 60s
State Fish and Game officials said a hiker who had been making a descent alone on the Ammonoosuc Trail in Crawford's Purchase collapsed and died around 9:30 p.m. Saturday.
The victim, identified as Dr. Robert Fernandez, 69, of Kennebunkport, Maine., died on the trail, Sgt. Mark Ober said. Efforts to revive Fernandez were unsuccessful.
Hikers from Alaska and Michigan had noticed that Fernandez had been hiking alone and appeared to be tired, so they made the trip down the trail with him. Fernandez collapsed about a half mile from the parking lot.
One of the hikers, Trent Sanders of Fairbanks, Alaska, performed CPR while his companion, Ryan Johnson of Holland, Mich., ran for help. Efforts by EMS crews to revive Fernandez were unsuccessful.
Earlier Saturday, a Massachusetts man died while hiking in Hart's Location. The hiker has been identified as James Byrne from South Dennis, Mass.
Bartlett rescue workers, members of the U.S. Forest Service and volunteers carried Byrne back to the trailhead after CPR was unsuccessful.
The hiker was with friends and family when he was fatally stricken.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Cause of $1.4 million house fire in Plainfield remains unknown - 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Body of woman found under Claremont bridge - 0
- Woman sentenced to a year in jail for crash - 0
- New tech course open to students in Londonderry - 0
- UPDATED: Nashua man accused of beating girlfriend - 0
- Developer granted permit for wind tower in Alexandria - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man faces charge of simple assault against son’s mother - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Bedford, Concord deadlock - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Central shows title mettle - 0
- Dave D'onofrio Patriots Notebook: Don't expect Patriots to fix this - 0
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Planned Parenthood endorses Hassan
By the horn: Feds owe NH man an explanation