Home » News » Public Safety
Two hiking fatalities in NH, both victims in their 60s
State Fish and Game officials said a hiker who had been making a descent alone on the Ammonoosuc Trail in Crawford's Purchase collapsed and died around 9:30 p.m. Saturday.
The victim, identified as Dr. Robert Fernandez, 69, of Kennebunkport, Maine., died on the trail, Sgt. Mark Ober said. Efforts to revive Fernandez were unsuccessful.
Hikers from Alaska and Michigan had noticed that Fernandez had been hiking alone and appeared to be tired, so they made the trip down the trail with him. Fernandez collapsed about a half mile from the parking lot.
One of the hikers, Trent Sanders of Fairbanks, Alaska, performed CPR while his companion, Ryan Johnson of Holland, Mich., ran for help. Efforts by EMS crews to revive Fernandez were unsuccessful.
Earlier Saturday, a Massachusetts man died while hiking in Hart's Location. The hiker has been identified as James Byrne from South Dennis, Mass.
Bartlett rescue workers, members of the U.S. Forest Service and volunteers carried Byrne back to the trailhead after CPR was unsuccessful.
The hiker was with friends and family when he was fatally stricken.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man injured in Ohio helicopter crash - 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 4
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism