Home » News » Public Safety
Two hiking fatalities in NH, both victims in their 60s
State Fish and Game officials said a hiker who had been making a descent alone on the Ammonoosuc Trail in Crawford's Purchase collapsed and died around 9:30 p.m. Saturday.
The victim, identified as Dr. Robert Fernandez, 69, of Kennebunkport, Maine., died on the trail, Sgt. Mark Ober said. Efforts to revive Fernandez were unsuccessful.
Hikers from Alaska and Michigan had noticed that Fernandez had been hiking alone and appeared to be tired, so they made the trip down the trail with him. Fernandez collapsed about a half mile from the parking lot.
One of the hikers, Trent Sanders of Fairbanks, Alaska, performed CPR while his companion, Ryan Johnson of Holland, Mich., ran for help. Efforts by EMS crews to revive Fernandez were unsuccessful.
Earlier Saturday, a Massachusetts man died while hiking in Hart's Location. The hiker has been identified as James Byrne from South Dennis, Mass.
Bartlett rescue workers, members of the U.S. Forest Service and volunteers carried Byrne back to the trailhead after CPR was unsuccessful.
The hiker was with friends and family when he was fatally stricken.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican'
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'