Londonderry High School students sign up for cancer fight to honor teacher, mother
Film and radio production teacher Karen Robinson said her students didn't hesitate to help out the cause after hearing how the cancer had affected her family.
In 2010, she and her students filmed a documentary at the Rockingham County VNA and Hospice, where Robinson's mother, Ruth Silverman, was once a patient. Silverman died in August 2010 at the age of 76, just one month after her diagnosis.
Students from the high school's Pay It Forward Club, a community service group that volunteers at various charity events over the course of the school year, will also be helping out at the vigil.
Organization spokesman Aimee Sherman said she was touched by the teens' selflessness.
This year, more than 45,000 people will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in the United States. About 73 percent of all patients die within the first year of diagnosis.
The Londonderry High School PSA will be available on the school's cable access channel, LEO-21, rather than the town's local access channel.
The PSA may also be viewed online via the district website, www.londonderry.org.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 4
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan - 0
- Sen. Odell won't seek re-election - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 11
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 22
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 3
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
- Sox rally in ninth to win - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Sen. Odell won't seek re-election