Londonderry High School students sign up for cancer fight to honor teacher, mother
Film and radio production teacher Karen Robinson said her students didn't hesitate to help out the cause after hearing how the cancer had affected her family.
In 2010, she and her students filmed a documentary at the Rockingham County VNA and Hospice, where Robinson's mother, Ruth Silverman, was once a patient. Silverman died in August 2010 at the age of 76, just one month after her diagnosis.
Students from the high school's Pay It Forward Club, a community service group that volunteers at various charity events over the course of the school year, will also be helping out at the vigil.
Organization spokesman Aimee Sherman said she was touched by the teens' selflessness.
This year, more than 45,000 people will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in the United States. About 73 percent of all patients die within the first year of diagnosis.
The Londonderry High School PSA will be available on the school's cable access channel, LEO-21, rather than the town's local access channel.
The PSA may also be viewed online via the district website, www.londonderry.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 16
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 34
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 3
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
- Little for Senate: A voice for the Upper Valley - 1
- Edwards for Senate: A driven leader for Dist. 4 - 0
- Nashua caretaker wants evidence suppressed in sexual assault case - 0
- Former coach from Nashua charged in sex assaults claims confession was involuntary - 0
- NH highways have potentialy deadly guardrail end pieces, transportation commissioner says - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 9
- Staples says it is probing possible payment card data breach - 0
- Manchester police: Ga. man stole truck in Mass. to visit mom in NH - 0
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to five years in girlfriend's murder - 0
- Expect the unexpected in NHIAA field hockey tourneys - 0
- Giants' blueprint? There is none - 0
GT Advanced Technology attorney hoping for Apple agreement today to allow more openness in bankruptcy courtREADER COMMENTS: 0
A series of sharp exchanges at 2nd CD debate
Murder-suicide ruled in Fremont deaths
Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar