Londonderry High School students sign up for cancer fight to honor teacher, mother
Film and radio production teacher Karen Robinson said her students didn't hesitate to help out the cause after hearing how the cancer had affected her family.
In 2010, she and her students filmed a documentary at the Rockingham County VNA and Hospice, where Robinson's mother, Ruth Silverman, was once a patient. Silverman died in August 2010 at the age of 76, just one month after her diagnosis.
Students from the high school's Pay It Forward Club, a community service group that volunteers at various charity events over the course of the school year, will also be helping out at the vigil.
Organization spokesman Aimee Sherman said she was touched by the teens' selflessness.
This year, more than 45,000 people will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in the United States. About 73 percent of all patients die within the first year of diagnosis.
The Londonderry High School PSA will be available on the school's cable access channel, LEO-21, rather than the town's local access channel.
The PSA may also be viewed online via the district website, www.londonderry.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roger Simon: If Hillary represents an Obama third term, she is doomed - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Parvo scare could be detrimental to puppy training, despite slim risk - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 28
- John Stossel: The other green monster - 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 3
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
- Boston Red Sox limited to one hit in loss to Tampa Bay, 7-0 - 0
- Donald Trump to headline 1st Amendment event in NH - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America