Top 2 in high school football power poll to meet Friday night
After the top three all won this past weekend, with No. 1 Concord topping No. 4 Pinkerton Academy of Derry in overtime, it's status quo for Nos. 1-8 in the Union Leader/WGIR/WMUR Power Poll of the state's top high school football teams.
Coming up this week: a match-up of the top two teams, with Bedford visiting Concord at Memorial Field Friday night.
The only changes in the poll are at the bottom of the top 10, where Trinity of Manchester (5-1) moved up a spot to No. 9 after its 21-13 victory over Souhegan of Amherst and Portsmouth (also 5-1) claimed No. 10 after handling previously unbeaten St. Thomas Aquinas of Dover, 49-28, while previously No. 9 Spaulding of Rochester lost to No. 5 Bishop Guertin of Nashua, 38-26.
Concord, Bedford and Nashua South retain the top three spots, all with 5-0 records.
Pinkerton (3-2) retained the No. 4 ranking, with one point more than Bishop Guertin (4-1), which faces South this weekend.
Plymouth (6-0), Exeter (4-2) and Keene (4-2) all retained their ranks, Nos. 6-8, respectively.
UNION LEADER/WGIR/WMUR FOOTBALL POWER POLL
Oct. 14, 2013
The top 10 high school football teams in New Hampshire, as voted by the staffs of the New Hampshire Union Leader, WGIR AM and FM, and WMUR-TV after Week 6 of the 2013 NHIAA season, with first-place votes/points in parentheses:
1. Concord, 6-0 (6/60)
2. Bedford, 6-0 (54)
3. Nashua South, 6-0 (48)
4. Pinkerton, 4-2 (39)
5. Bishop Guertin, 5-1 (38)
6. Plymouth, 6-0 (26)
7. Exeter, 4-2 (25)
8. Keene, 4-2 (20)
9. Trinity, 5-1 (14)
10. Portsmouth, 5-1 (6)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840