Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Napoli homers, Lackey shuts out Tigers
Napoli smashed a full-count fastball from Justin Verlander over the fence in left-center field with out in the seventh for the lone run allowed by the Tigers ace in 23 innings this postseason. Game 4 in the best-of-7 series is Wednesday in Detroit.
Lackey (1-0) struck out eight and gave up four hits and walked none in a strong outing. The bullpen got the final seven outs, including four from Koji Uehara for the save.
Verlander (0-1) struck out 10 – setting a postseason record with six career games of 10 or more strikeouts – and allowed one run and four hits in eight innings. He also matched the postseason record of six consecutive strikeouts when he fanned the last three batters in the second inning and struck out the side in the third.
Detroit had runners on first and third in the eighth before Junichi Tazawa struck out Miguel Cabrera and Uehara entered and fanned Prince Fielder. Uehara allowed a lead single to Victor Martinez in the ninth before inducing Jhonny Peralta to bounce into a double play and striking out Alex Avila.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Detroit pitchers have fanned 43 batters, a record through three games of a Championship Series. … Napoli’s only previous homer against Verlander came on May 4, 2006 – in his first major-league at-bat as a member of the Los Angeles Angels. … The game was delayed for 17 minutes due to a power outage prior to the bottom of the second inning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Rookie makes most of chance - 0
- Monarchs cut Ullrich - 0
- Monarchs fall in Sunday shootout - 0
- Sabourin's two goals pace Monarchs past P-Bruins - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' 'kids' get job done - 0
- Monarchs roll past Sharks, 4-1 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up