Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Napoli homers, Lackey shuts out Tigers
Napoli smashed a full-count fastball from Justin Verlander over the fence in left-center field with out in the seventh for the lone run allowed by the Tigers ace in 23 innings this postseason. Game 4 in the best-of-7 series is Wednesday in Detroit.
Lackey (1-0) struck out eight and gave up four hits and walked none in a strong outing. The bullpen got the final seven outs, including four from Koji Uehara for the save.
Verlander (0-1) struck out 10 – setting a postseason record with six career games of 10 or more strikeouts – and allowed one run and four hits in eight innings. He also matched the postseason record of six consecutive strikeouts when he fanned the last three batters in the second inning and struck out the side in the third.
Detroit had runners on first and third in the eighth before Junichi Tazawa struck out Miguel Cabrera and Uehara entered and fanned Prince Fielder. Uehara allowed a lead single to Victor Martinez in the ninth before inducing Jhonny Peralta to bounce into a double play and striking out Alex Avila.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Detroit pitchers have fanned 43 batters, a record through three games of a Championship Series. … Napoli’s only previous homer against Verlander came on May 4, 2006 – in his first major-league at-bat as a member of the Los Angeles Angels. … The game was delayed for 17 minutes due to a power outage prior to the bottom of the second inning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
There are no little jobs in the armed forces
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
A chief walks: No charges in New London
Big tipper stops for lunch