Restoration and rememberance
Vandalized monument to fallen officers restored
"It's depressing to hear that it was tipped over, but the response to it is very good and greatly appreciated, not only by our family, but I suspect by people who go around that traffic circle every day," said Jeremy Charron's father Bob.
Along with fixing and resetting the broken monument, the NKA also cleaned up any litter around the site, mowed the lawn and trimmed the trees.
"With it being the anniversary of her husband's death she said she needed something to do, and that it would be therapeutic to help out. I said come on down and bring a rake and a smile," Dempsey said.
"I take her boys hunting; a bunch of us that were friends with Mike still look out for his kids," Dempsey said.
"Even politicians honor it by not planting any signs on the circle. The area all around is loaded election time. but not here," Dempsey said.
"They probably didn't even know what they were doing, the monument has no writing on it of any kind."
Some of the NKA members who helped out, like Justin Dirito, weren't even members of the White Mountain chapter, but still felt compelled to help out.
This is not the first time Dempsey and his motorcycle club have had to repair and remount the monument. In 2011, a motorist crashed into it after driving up the small hill in the middle of the traffic circle.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.