Marine Corps League to honor New Hampshire vets who served in Korea
Marines will express their famous greeting, “Semper Fi” (“Always faithful”), once again at the Margate Resort, 76 Lake St., during opening ceremonies at 7 p.m., followed by a Western style-buffet.
2013 marks the 60th anniversary of the truce of July 27, 1953, between the United States, its United Nations allies and the Republic of South Korea with the Communist nations of North Korea, China, and the Soviet Union. While the truce ended armed fighting, the actual end of the war did not occur until Jan. 31, 1955, with the signing of the armistice between the warring nations.
The Ministry of National Defense of the Republic of Korea claims that 5.3 million people were killed or wounded, including 2.5 million civilians.
While there were those that paid the ultimate sacrifice, an exact number has never been verified and the state archives are limited in scope.
Reservations at $45 can be made through Bob Patenaude, detachment commandant at 253-7970 or mail to Lakes Region Detachment, MCL; P.O. Box 764, Center Harbor, 03226.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 33
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council