Home » Sports » Motor Sports
NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning
But Tuesday, Jerry Gappens, executive vice president and general manager of the speedway, added a few more appetizers, including the return of the Camping World Truck Series next season.
For the 12th straight year, the fall Cup race at NHMS will be in the form of the Sylvania 300. The race will serve as the second race in the Chase for the Sprint Cup on Sept. 21 at 2 p.m.
Gappens also provided the fans with an early Christmas present when he announced Tuesday the return of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in 2014, ending a three-year absence from the Magic Mile. The Truck Series will join NASCAR’s top-tier national touring series, the Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup Series as featured events next July and September.
“Bringing back the trucks was because of the feedback I was getting back from our fans,” said Gappens.
Gappens also provided an update on the possibility of holding a NASCAR race in July of 2015 under the lights.
“A couple of things are happening on that front,” said Gappens. “After next season NASCAR will have two new broadcasting partners starting in 2015. As for our races, Fox will replace TNT for our July race in 2015. NBC will replace ESPN for our September race in 2015. We plan on holding conversations with NASCAR and Fox to see if they would consider our proposal of holding a Saturday night NASCAR race in July. If they agree, then we would begin the process of installing the lights. The feedback from our fans is they’d welcome a night (NASCAR) race in July to beat the heat.”
“Over the last three to four years, I can tell you our relationship with the town has grown and strengthened,” said Gappens. “We have a good dialogue and rapport and I plan to be very transparent throughout the whole process. I’m sure some people don’t want us to have lights, but we also believe there’s many who want us to install them. Our fans have told us they want a Saturday night NASCAR event and we believe we can work with all parties involved to make it happen. But we can’t start anything until we hear from NASCAR and Fox.”
All remaining tickets for the July Camping World RV Sales 301 weekend will go on sale Nov. 15 and on Jan. 2, 2014 for Sylvania 300 weekend events.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 16
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 8
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 20
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 0
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
Wildcats defeat Maine to advance
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize