Home » Sports » Motor Sports
NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning
But Tuesday, Jerry Gappens, executive vice president and general manager of the speedway, added a few more appetizers, including the return of the Camping World Truck Series next season.
For the 12th straight year, the fall Cup race at NHMS will be in the form of the Sylvania 300. The race will serve as the second race in the Chase for the Sprint Cup on Sept. 21 at 2 p.m.
Gappens also provided the fans with an early Christmas present when he announced Tuesday the return of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in 2014, ending a three-year absence from the Magic Mile. The Truck Series will join NASCAR’s top-tier national touring series, the Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup Series as featured events next July and September.
“Bringing back the trucks was because of the feedback I was getting back from our fans,” said Gappens.
Gappens also provided an update on the possibility of holding a NASCAR race in July of 2015 under the lights.
“A couple of things are happening on that front,” said Gappens. “After next season NASCAR will have two new broadcasting partners starting in 2015. As for our races, Fox will replace TNT for our July race in 2015. NBC will replace ESPN for our September race in 2015. We plan on holding conversations with NASCAR and Fox to see if they would consider our proposal of holding a Saturday night NASCAR race in July. If they agree, then we would begin the process of installing the lights. The feedback from our fans is they’d welcome a night (NASCAR) race in July to beat the heat.”
“Over the last three to four years, I can tell you our relationship with the town has grown and strengthened,” said Gappens. “We have a good dialogue and rapport and I plan to be very transparent throughout the whole process. I’m sure some people don’t want us to have lights, but we also believe there’s many who want us to install them. Our fans have told us they want a Saturday night NASCAR event and we believe we can work with all parties involved to make it happen. But we can’t start anything until we hear from NASCAR and Fox.”
All remaining tickets for the July Camping World RV Sales 301 weekend will go on sale Nov. 15 and on Jan. 2, 2014 for Sylvania 300 weekend events.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Longview School science teacher lauded - 0
- ConVal students get a taste of Hollywood - 0
- Manchester school superintendent's contract renewed in secret session - 3
- Salem teachers, school board agree to two-year contract - 2
- Hillside Middle School is state winner in Samsung science contest - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 10
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen injured in pedestrian/car collision in Hudson - 0
- Manchester police recover shell casings in gunfire incident on Taylor Street - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 3
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 2
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 1
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty