Home » Sports » Sports Awards
Athlete of the Month
Manchester Central High's Jesiah Wade explodes on the NH football scene
After spending three solid campaigns playing for Division V Campbell High of Litchfield, this season Wade jumped to Manchester Central and has exploded on the Division I scene.
“People have to realize this kid had to learn a lot in a short period of time with us,” said Ray. “He’s not only an offensive player. We’ve asked him to learn the cornerback position and he’s also been contributing on special teams. He’s excelled on every level.”
MacPherson scored 22 goals in September, including four in a 6-1 win over Bishop Brady of Concord on Sept. 25. Brummett, a freshman at Derryfield, scored 25 goals in September to kick off her high school career. She had five goals in a 7-0 win over Pittsfield on Sept. 24.
Tied for fifth place in the balloting with 14 points were field hockey standout Colbi Vaillancourt of Manchester and football linebacker David Zocco of Nashua.
Nashua South product Zocco is a senior linebacker at the University of Rhode Island. Through four games in September, Zocco had 33 tackles, including two for losses.
A sophomore on the Inter-Lakes girls’ team, she had 19 goals in September, including six hat tricks.
Previous 2013 winners: January — Sean Doherty, Conway, biathlon; February — Drew Ledwith, Keene, swimming; March — Kaleb Tarczewski, Claremont, basketball; April — Mariah Crisp, Greenland, softball, and Eric Jensen, Gorham, baseball; May — Carson Cross, Brentwood, baseball; June — Rick Holt, football and baseball, Portsmouth. July — Eva Fabian, swimming, Keene. August — Chelso Barrett, golf, Surrey.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up