Epping School Board says candy corn OK to bring to school
Superintendent Barbara Munsey told the school board that a recent issue involving a teacher who wouldn't allow a preschooler to eat the candy corn she brought to school was a "misunderstanding."
The dispute over the school district's wellness policy began after 4-year-old preschool student Sarah Kelly brought a small bag with a handful of candy corn into the school a few weeks ago to eat with her snack. Her mother, Michelle Kelly, said she gave the candy corn to her daughter as a reward for getting ready for school on time.Sarah had other healthy snacks with her as well and her mother thought the candy corn would be a little treat.
Kelly's fiancé, David Mylott, is the chairman of the Epping School Board and he recently raised concerns about the teacher's claims that parents weren't allowed to send candy in with kids. He argued that the school district could encourage healthy eating, but couldn't tell parents what they could pack for snack and lunch.
At Thursday night's meeting, Munsey told the board that the district's policy simply encourages healthy snacks and meals but doesn't mandate what parents may send in.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- City Matters: Little sleep for Vietnam vet - 3
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 10
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: 'Taps' is soundtrack of summer ceremony - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Central buddies play on - 1
- DIY addition draws city's, neighbors' ire - 6
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Negroni family lays claim to namesake cocktail - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: West Side neighborhood loses trees and backyard privacy for the summer - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Southside Middle School, where nary a gripe will be heard - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name