action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Darrell Cook

Darrell W. Cook

Oct 2, 2014

Michael Polchies

CAPTURED

Michael Polchies

Sep 25, 2014

Jarrett Michael Cote

Jarrett M. Cote

Sep 18, 2014

Stevens

CAPTURED

Christopher Stevens

Sep 4, 2014

Home » News » Crime

October 18. 2013 11:38PM

Charge upgraded in Elliot Hospital attack

MANCHESTER — The charge against Fern Ornelas, 54, who is accused of attacking a security guard in the psychiatric holding section of the Elliot Hospital emergency department Wednesday night, has been upgraded to felony second-degree assault.

Ornelas, of 54 Lancaster Ave., had been scheduled for arraignment Friday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a misdemeanor simple assault charge.

Police filed the more serious charge and intended to drop the misdemeanor at the arraignment session, but Ornelas remains hospitalized and no new date for arraignment has been set. Ornelas was at Elliot Hospital awaiting transfer to the New Hampshire State Hospital, which has a waiting list, when the incident occurred Wednesday night.

Hospital officials declined to say how long Ornelas had been held in the secure psychiatric section, but police said he became increasingly agitated Wednesday evening and was disturbing other patients.

When a security guard, a retired New Hampshire state trooper, sought to return Ornelas to his room, Ornelas attacked him. Police said that although retired State Police Sgt. Lawrence Bolduc gave as good as he got, it took several security guards, a Manchester police officer who was on a detail at the Emergency Room and pepper spray to get Ornelas under control and handcuffed.

Both Ornelas and Bolduc were treated for facial injuries.

Hospital officials did not confirm that changes had been made since a July 8 incident in the unit in which a patient who had been held there for three days, awaiting transfer, allegedly assaulted two hospital employees.

But Elliot President and Chief Executive Douglas Dean said after the July assaults that there would be changes in security, with an armed security guard on duty around the clock in the emergency department.At the time of the July incident, there was only a security officer on duty in the emergency department on weekends.

The man accused in the July incident, Ansel Kinglocke, 34, who has been indicted for the assaults on nursing assistant Donald Wyman and hospital employee Melissa Clermont, is also awaiting a competency hearing.

Wayman, who suffered serious facial and head injuries, was hospitalized for some time in Boston. Clermont, who sustained a fractured cheekbone when she sought to stop Kinglocke from using Wayman's identification tag to get out of the unit, was less seriously injured and has since returned to work.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
  • KSC students
  • 37%
  • KSC administration
  • 2%
  • Police
  • 6%
  • Visitors from out of town
  • 18%
  • A combination of any/all of the above
  • 37%
  • Total Votes: 2483

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events