Home » News » Public Safety
Air, water search underway in Hampton after capsized boat found
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of this paddle boat found off of North Beach in Hampton Friday morning. (courtesy)
The Coast Guard launched a search and rescue mission with help from local police following the discovery of the 8-foot Pelican paddle boat overturned in the area of North Beach.
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of the boat.
At this point, it’s not known whether anyone was on the boat when it capsized, said Lt. Eric Spragins, command duty officer with Coast Guard Sector Northern New England.
“Right now we're going to continue to search,” he said.
The Coast Guard Station Portsmouth Harbor received a report of the unmanned boat around 10:45 a.m.
The boat was last seen Thursday night near 32 Noreast Lane in Hampton and was recovered near 1070 Ocean Lane in Hampton, officials said.
A camp fire was spotted in the area where the boat was last seen on shore.
Spragins said the Coast Guard is using a helicopter to search by air and a 47-foot motor life boat is also assisting with a water search near North Beach.
Local police are also assisting in the search.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Coast Guard Sector Northern New England at (207) 767-0303.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate