Home » News » Public Safety
Air, water search underway in Hampton after capsized boat found
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of this paddle boat found off of North Beach in Hampton Friday morning. (courtesy)
The Coast Guard launched a search and rescue mission with help from local police following the discovery of the 8-foot Pelican paddle boat overturned in the area of North Beach.
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of the boat.
At this point, it’s not known whether anyone was on the boat when it capsized, said Lt. Eric Spragins, command duty officer with Coast Guard Sector Northern New England.
“Right now we're going to continue to search,” he said.
The Coast Guard Station Portsmouth Harbor received a report of the unmanned boat around 10:45 a.m.
The boat was last seen Thursday night near 32 Noreast Lane in Hampton and was recovered near 1070 Ocean Lane in Hampton, officials said.
A camp fire was spotted in the area where the boat was last seen on shore.
Spragins said the Coast Guard is using a helicopter to search by air and a 47-foot motor life boat is also assisting with a water search near North Beach.
Local police are also assisting in the search.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Coast Guard Sector Northern New England at (207) 767-0303.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester