Home » News » Public Safety
Air, water search underway in Hampton after capsized boat found
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of this paddle boat found off of North Beach in Hampton Friday morning. (courtesy)
The Coast Guard launched a search and rescue mission with help from local police following the discovery of the 8-foot Pelican paddle boat overturned in the area of North Beach.
Authorities are trying to locate the owner of the boat.
At this point, it’s not known whether anyone was on the boat when it capsized, said Lt. Eric Spragins, command duty officer with Coast Guard Sector Northern New England.
“Right now we're going to continue to search,” he said.
The Coast Guard Station Portsmouth Harbor received a report of the unmanned boat around 10:45 a.m.
The boat was last seen Thursday night near 32 Noreast Lane in Hampton and was recovered near 1070 Ocean Lane in Hampton, officials said.
A camp fire was spotted in the area where the boat was last seen on shore.
Spragins said the Coast Guard is using a helicopter to search by air and a 47-foot motor life boat is also assisting with a water search near North Beach.
Local police are also assisting in the search.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Coast Guard Sector Northern New England at (207) 767-0303.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 10
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 4
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 8
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too