Home » News » Public Safety
Manchesters's Chez Vachon to reopen Saturday after kitchen fire
A major overhaul was needed in a short amount of time so that the popular restaurant at 136 Kelley St. could open at 6 a.m. for its regular Saturday morning breakfast crowd.
It meant the stove, ceilings and food all had to be replaced, tables and chairs and the restaurant's interior needed a power wash, vents had to be pulled out and cleaned of sooty residue, and walls had to be painted, according to owner Robert Perkins.
"We pretty much did everything, soup to nuts," he said.
Perkins expects the restaurant will get the OK to open once it passes inspection, slated for Friday afternoon.
A neighbor reported the fire after seeing smoke coming from the restaurant about 5:30 p.m. Monday. Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames.
Perkins said a burner on the stove did not turn off completely and a plastic cutting board, placed on top of what was thought to be a cold stove to air dry, caught fire after a few hours.
The blaze heavily damaged the stove, which had to be replaced, but an automatic fire suppression system kept flames from spreading throughout the restaurant.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Franklin man and woman facing charge of attempted prostitution of a minor - 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 2
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 3
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection