Home » News » Public Safety
Manchesters's Chez Vachon to reopen Saturday after kitchen fire
A major overhaul was needed in a short amount of time so that the popular restaurant at 136 Kelley St. could open at 6 a.m. for its regular Saturday morning breakfast crowd.
It meant the stove, ceilings and food all had to be replaced, tables and chairs and the restaurant's interior needed a power wash, vents had to be pulled out and cleaned of sooty residue, and walls had to be painted, according to owner Robert Perkins.
"We pretty much did everything, soup to nuts," he said.
Perkins expects the restaurant will get the OK to open once it passes inspection, slated for Friday afternoon.
A neighbor reported the fire after seeing smoke coming from the restaurant about 5:30 p.m. Monday. Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames.
Perkins said a burner on the stove did not turn off completely and a plastic cutting board, placed on top of what was thought to be a cold stove to air dry, caught fire after a few hours.
The blaze heavily damaged the stove, which had to be replaced, but an automatic fire suppression system kept flames from spreading throughout the restaurant.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Nashua mayor: Greeley Park is right spot for playground - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents