Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: UNH earns tie with Michigan
He got his second in three games on Friday night and it was a critical one, lifting the No. 13-ranked Wildcats to a 1-1 tie with No. 5 Michigan in front of 5,245 at the Whittemore Center.
The Wildcats were 0-for-8 on the power play, but their goal came just as one of their man-advantage opportunities was ending.
Senior Jeff Wyer made 17 saves for UNH.
The Wildcats are all even at 1-1-1. Michigan is 2-0-1.
The teams go at it again tonight at the Whit at 7.
Casey DeSmith, the junior out of Rochester, will likely get the start in goal for UNH.
A super Matt Willows pass sent Dan Correale in on the Michigan goal.
Michigan's Derek DeBlois was called for hooking Correale and UNH was awarded a penalty shot.
The Wolverines grabbed a 1-0 lead with the only goal in a penalty-filled first period.
The Wildcat penalty killers escaped further trouble on that Michigan power play, which came as the result of a major penalty on Dalton Speelman. Speelman was called for contact to the head and assessed a game misconduct with 6:59 left in the period.
UNH had four power plays in the first period and started a fifth just as it ended.
Defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk hit the crossbar and Grayson Downing a post during the first-period Wildcat power plays.
Sorkin got last year's two goals in 29 games. He also had 15 assists.
Football coach Sean McDonnell came onto the ice for a little pep talk at the end of the intermission between the first and second periods. He addressed the UNH students in the crowd thanked them for their attendance and support so far in this football season and told them the Wildcats needed them again for today's key game against Villanova in Cowell Stadium. . . . UNH is on the road for a couple of games after tonight's rematch with Michigan. The Wildcats play at Rensselaer next Saturday. The following weekend they open Hockey East play with a game at UMass-Lowell on Nov. 1 and one at home against the River Hawks the next night.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Big challenges? Bring ’em on - 3
- Florida State's Winston captures Heisman Trophy by a landslide - 0
- College Football: UNH in FCS semifinals for first time ever - 2
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU men cagers can't hold big lead against Merrimack - 1
- Good-natured talk leads to friendly bet in UNH game - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Hard work paid off for UNH coaches - 0
- College Football: UNH on a business trip - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 1
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'