Home » Opinion » Editorials
Left to die: No help in Hudson
When police are called to respond to a suicidal person, they have an obligation to act. When Hudson police were called to the home of Matthew Banks, they found a tube connected to the tailpipe of his car.
Susan Mead, outreach director for the Greater Nashua Mental Health Center, who has been training police officers around the region for several years including officers in Hudson, said it succinctly: "If someone's suicidal, you want to bring them in and have them assessed," Mead said.
Hudson police have recently released documents related to their response, but have failed to explain the rationale for their actions.
The next day, about 6:30 p.m., the woman walked outside and found Matthew Banks attaching the hose once again and called the police.
His widow says police should have done more to keep her husband alive.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 46
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you