Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A 'bit irked' that report has car facts wrong
Mike is a black-and-white kind of kid, given to solid, simple replies to questions. "No," being his favorite answer. "Yes" ranks a distant second.
It seemed an odd request, because I had already told him about my car, which I bought new, have had for 10 years, and which has low mileage and a pleasant attitude.
He paused and then, looking like Perry Mason before a jury, pounced.
"What about it being totally demolished?" he asked.
"Yes!" he said. "According to our records, your car was totaled in December of 2007."
Now, I will admit I am getting a bit hazy with my recollections on certain matters, like golf scores or what I had for lunch, or whether I spoke last week to the Turks, the Hooksett Kiwanis, or the Ancient Order of Hibernians. (In fact, it was all three.)
But there it was, duly noted by something called "Carfax," which apparently has access to more information on car data than Edward Snowden took from the NSA.
Much to my relief, I have been told that the whole thing can be resolved and corrected. All I need is to get the U.S. House, Senate, and the President to agree to it. Piece of cake.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: History has a way of repeating itself, and we are doing that with a second 'Memories' book - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Those who do so much good for NH often go unnoticed and unrecognized - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Getting it right with kids, the comics and the rest of the paper - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Marmaduke's back — and so's Seinfeld - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Nothing Goofy about a kick in the seat - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Yanks' pitcher could have used AG's help - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: '3-G' may go, but 'Memories 2' is coming - 1
- Joe McQuaid - Publisher's Notebook: Veteran newsman Toole returning to fold - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax