Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A 'bit irked' that report has car facts wrong
Mike is a black-and-white kind of kid, given to solid, simple replies to questions. "No," being his favorite answer. "Yes" ranks a distant second.
It seemed an odd request, because I had already told him about my car, which I bought new, have had for 10 years, and which has low mileage and a pleasant attitude.
He paused and then, looking like Perry Mason before a jury, pounced.
"What about it being totally demolished?" he asked.
"Yes!" he said. "According to our records, your car was totaled in December of 2007."
Now, I will admit I am getting a bit hazy with my recollections on certain matters, like golf scores or what I had for lunch, or whether I spoke last week to the Turks, the Hooksett Kiwanis, or the Ancient Order of Hibernians. (In fact, it was all three.)
But there it was, duly noted by something called "Carfax," which apparently has access to more information on car data than Edward Snowden took from the NSA.
Much to my relief, I have been told that the whole thing can be resolved and corrected. All I need is to get the U.S. House, Senate, and the President to agree to it. Piece of cake.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 16
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 37
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 3
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
- Little for Senate: A voice for the Upper Valley - 1
- Edwards for Senate: A driven leader for Dist. 4 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- GT Advanced Technology attorney hoping for Apple agreement today to allow more openness in bankruptcy court - 0
- Nashua caretaker wants evidence suppressed in sexual assault case - 0
- Former coach from Nashua charged in sex assaults claims confession was involuntary - 0
- NH highways have potentialy deadly guardrail end pieces, transportation commissioner says - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 9
- Staples says it is probing possible payment card data breach - 0
- Manchester police: Ga. man stole truck in Mass. to visit mom in NH - 0
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to five years in girlfriend's murder - 0
- Expect the unexpected in NHIAA field hockey tourneys - 0
A series of sharp exchanges at 2nd CD debate
Murder-suicide ruled in Fremont deaths
Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar