Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A 'bit irked' that report has car facts wrong
Mike is a black-and-white kind of kid, given to solid, simple replies to questions. "No," being his favorite answer. "Yes" ranks a distant second.
It seemed an odd request, because I had already told him about my car, which I bought new, have had for 10 years, and which has low mileage and a pleasant attitude.
He paused and then, looking like Perry Mason before a jury, pounced.
"What about it being totally demolished?" he asked.
"Yes!" he said. "According to our records, your car was totaled in December of 2007."
Now, I will admit I am getting a bit hazy with my recollections on certain matters, like golf scores or what I had for lunch, or whether I spoke last week to the Turks, the Hooksett Kiwanis, or the Ancient Order of Hibernians. (In fact, it was all three.)
But there it was, duly noted by something called "Carfax," which apparently has access to more information on car data than Edward Snowden took from the NSA.
Much to my relief, I have been told that the whole thing can be resolved and corrected. All I need is to get the U.S. House, Senate, and the President to agree to it. Piece of cake.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Florida State's Winston captures Heisman Trophy by a landslide - 0
- College Football: UNH in FCS semifinals for first time ever - 2
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU men cagers can't hold big lead against Merrimack - 1
- Good-natured talk leads to friendly bet in UNH game - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Hard work paid off for UNH coaches - 0
- College Football: UNH on a business trip - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 1
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 2
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Shaheen, Ayotte on opposite sides of procedural vote on budget compromise - 3
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
- NH ranks first in controlling infectious disease, according to report - 1
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Knife-wielding robbers target two stores in Manchester - 2
Plaistow lawyer indicted in fatal boat crash
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos