Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Mom's outlook puts everything in perspective
City parents Amy and Chris Byers have been taking turns making the trip with their 2-year-old daughter, Rowan Byers, every week since August so Rowan can participate in a clinical treatment trial for Morquio's syndrome, a rare genetic disease with which she was diagnosed in June.
Like most people, Amy and Chris had never heard of Morquio's syndrome until Rowan's diagnosis. Rowan appeared healthy at birth, but her parents and other family members began to see changes in the shape of her knees and chest shortly before her second birthday. An appointment with the pediatrician led to a geneticist and finally the Morquio's diagnosis.
"It's definitely changed us. I think for the better," she said.
The list of recommended supplies for participants in this Saturday's Queen City Rotary Road Rally may be the same list they used when the rally began 32 years ago. It includes maps, paper, pencils, a dictionary and a phone book.
If you have never experienced master storyteller Odds Bodkin perform, you must see one of his performances at Amoskeag Studio this Sunday.
Since 1982, Odds Bodkin has made his living as a master storyteller, author, creative musician, and educator who is renowned for his renditions of epic tales. I have not seen him since I was little, but remember how captivating he was.
For more information, please visit www.oddsbodkin.net.
Nh365.Org event of the week
Who doesn't love a good baking competition, where you get to sample both the winners and the losers? Southern New Hampshire Services is raising money for its Retired Senior Volunteer Program with "Clash of the Cupcakes" this Friday at 6 p.m. at the Derryfield Country Club.
WZID's Mike Morin will emcee the evening, which also includes a selection of light hors d'oeuvres and a Silent Auction.
If you have an interesting item for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired - 6
- Speedway, NH casino called a natural fit, track's GM says - 8
- Federal data shows which doctors reap Medicare millions - 3
- Privacy foremost at hearing on NH bill to restrict government spying, commercial use of drones - 18
- Six months later, Abigail's disappearance still a mystery - 1
- Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist - 5
- Judge issues no ruling on county attorney's suspension - 4
- Retired judge reprimanded for sexist remarks - 0
- Manchester officer cleared in domestic assault is subject of probe - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man clocked doing 100 on Route 11 in Wilmot - 0
- Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales - 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales