Community Caregivers celebrates 25 years of service in Londonderry
Volunteers, clients and staff enjoyed an evening of celebration and memories Saturday during Community Caregivers of Greater Derry’s 25th anniversary party at the NH Aviation Museum.
Community Caregivers of Greater Derry, located in the Derry Masonic Temple, has proven a godsend for area seniors struggling to maintain their independence.
Volunteers assist their homebound clients with rides to medical appointments, household chores and anything else they might happen to need.
“It’s hard to believe it all began in one room in a Londonderry office park,” Executive Director Cindee Tanuma said, noting that at one time the organization’s headquarters consisted of one small room with two part-time staff members.
“We treat all of them like an extension of our family,” Tanuma said. “That’s what we’re all about.”
A former air traffic controller, Pierce said he jumped at the opportunity to lend a hand.
“I just wanted to give back,” he said.
“It’s a good feeling to help someone else,” he said. “We’re all going to get there one day, and there could come a day when I’ll be the one needing help.”
During a visit to Derry Fest, Foley stopped by the Caregivers booth where she chatted with volunteers and staff members. She was immediately intrigued.
“It’s a nice feeling to be able to help empower someone,” Foley added.
Vincent Smith, chairman of the Community Caregivers board of directors, said there’s a constant need for additional volunteers as the organization continues to grow.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Real bribery at the voting booth - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic - 0
- Rep. Stephen Shurtleff: What NH can accomplish when we cooperate in Concord - 2
- Brian Bouchard's NH Legal Perspective: Cloudy with a chance of trade secret forfeiture - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- John Stossel: Making legal immigration easier would help America - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 6
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem