Home » News » Public Safety
Overdue attorney general's report of mentally handicapped NH deaths coming soon
The last report was issued in 2009, said Sandi Matheson, the outgoing director of victim-witness advocacy for the New Hampshire Attorney General.
Two years ago, the Review Committee received some attention when a lawmaker said it could be used to follow up on a spate of police shootings of people who were mentally ill. Police in New Hampshire shot and killed five people in 2011, all which the Attorney General's Office deemed as justified. A majority suffered from mental illness.
"There needs to be a trail," he said, "for purposes of accountability there has to be a report out there publicly. It's certainly beneficial to make things public."
"I took it over (the chairman's job) just to facilitate it," Matheson said. Don Rabun, an ombudsman in the state Office of the Long Term Care, was eventually named chairman.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'
The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission