Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Vigil planned for Abigail Saturday in North Conway
"Oh, she so pretty, that's so sad," she said as she examined the flier, one of hundreds posted at almost every business in town, with a picture of 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez, and some wording asking for help in finding the teenager who has been missing since Oct. 9.
Her gaze, though, kept returning to the flier.
"Business has been great, we had a better foliage season than usual and we had more people here. The fliers have been drawing curiosity, which is what we want, of course, but there hasn't been any bad effects on our business from them. If anything, customers just ask a few more questions."
An exhaustive search for her is being conducted by a state and federal law enforcement missing persons team. They've been out among businesses asking questions and looking for clues. A roadblock was set up on a main town road last Thursday by FBI teams, asking residents if they had seen Hernandez or any sign of her that day.
The FBI's Kieran Ramsey was pleased to hear the fliers were being seen. The police presence, which has been as much as 100 officers in town in recent days, should not interfere with the tourist business in town, as officers have "a small footprint" in town.
Businesses may be actually doing better since the fliers went up, as visitors are seeing "a community response to this situation of all of us pulling together, and some of that is being seen and felt by our customers," said Janice Crawford, executive director of the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
- Weare residents turn out to express police department concerns - 1
- Tamworth man struck, killed by UPS truck - 0
- Two boys rescued from Hood Pond - 1
- Woman killed in Nashua crash - 0
- Wednesday night Derry blaze under investigation - 0
- Gunfire from police range disturbs Plaistow neighbors - 1
- Cause of Ashland fire investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH