Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Win in New York was just out of reach
Replays aired during the live television broadcast were inconclusive, so Patriots fans were left to find alternative video sources to see why the call was made — or perhaps why it was wrong. But if they’re going to that footage to look at why their Pats lost a division game, and a chance to move to 6-1, they shouldn’t waste their time on that play.
Look at the Jets’ efficiency on third down by comparison. Led by rookie quarterback Geno Smith, New York was 11-for-21 overall, moving the chains when in situations that required them to gain 10, 14 and 21 yards, and scoring a touchdown on third and seven.
Look at the New England offensive line allowing four sacks, which brings their total to 13 in the past three games, and puts Brady on a pace to be dropped 46 times this season. Not since 2001 has he been sacked more than 32 times in a whole year.
Look at Brady, too, though. Hurt again by a few drops, he hit on just 22 of 46 throws, and thus completed less than half his passes for the third time in seven games this season. He also failed to throw a touchdown pass for the second time in three weeks after tossing at least one in every game for more than three seasons.
“There are no excuses,” Brady said. “We didn’t play well.”
Dave D’Onofrio covers the Patriots for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand