Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Win in New York was just out of reach
Replays aired during the live television broadcast were inconclusive, so Patriots fans were left to find alternative video sources to see why the call was made — or perhaps why it was wrong. But if they’re going to that footage to look at why their Pats lost a division game, and a chance to move to 6-1, they shouldn’t waste their time on that play.
Look at the Jets’ efficiency on third down by comparison. Led by rookie quarterback Geno Smith, New York was 11-for-21 overall, moving the chains when in situations that required them to gain 10, 14 and 21 yards, and scoring a touchdown on third and seven.
Look at the New England offensive line allowing four sacks, which brings their total to 13 in the past three games, and puts Brady on a pace to be dropped 46 times this season. Not since 2001 has he been sacked more than 32 times in a whole year.
Look at Brady, too, though. Hurt again by a few drops, he hit on just 22 of 46 throws, and thus completed less than half his passes for the third time in seven games this season. He also failed to throw a touchdown pass for the second time in three weeks after tossing at least one in every game for more than three seasons.
“There are no excuses,” Brady said. “We didn’t play well.”
Dave D’Onofrio covers the Patriots for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up