County attorney says following Laurie list 'not worth it'
Prosecutors have a constitutional obligation to notify defendants of all evidence favorable to them, including police discipline involving dishonesty, according to the state Attorney General.
Concord attorney Jim Moir said defendants in cases in which Seusing testified have the right to know even after trial, and even after many years. He suggested she make a public statement telling the defendants that Seusing had a Laurie issue dating back to the mid-1980s that wasn't disclosed as required.
Issuing such a statement would likely bring work at her office to a standstill, she said.
But Moir said the defendants have a constitutional right to the information.
Moir said if defendants have more than just mere speculation that a particular officer testifying against them had a Laurie issue that wasn't disclosed before trial, they can send a letter asking the prosecutor to investigate, and follow up by filing a motion in court.
"The Laurie list is not a list of untrustworthy officers," LaFrance said.
READER COMMENTS: 22
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 0
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 12
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama the oblivious - 6
- Roger Simon: What Nelson Mandela overcame - 1
- George Will: Raise the minimum wage? It's iffy - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan