Granite State Arts Academy in Derry to host its third open house
The open house is set to begin at 10 a.m. at the school’s proposed site, 16 Route 111, Building 4. It will include a question-and-answer session and tours of the site, Chairwoman Wendie Leweck said.
Based on the surge in interest, the school for grades nine through 12 should easily reach its total enrollment of 160 students, or 40 students per grade, Leweck said.
Every day, Leweck said she is receiving a dozen or so emails and phone calls from parents interested in learning more about the academy. She added that she does her best to respond to the many inquiries.
Along with a core curriculum, the school will offer four major areas of the arts: dance, music (including voice), theater and visual arts.
Of the approximate $12,000 annual cost of educating a student, the school receives about $5,500 per pupil from the state. The remaining balance of federal money, however, doesn’t “follow” the student to the charter school but goes to the public school within the district that the student would have attended, she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison