Granite State Arts Academy in Derry to host its third open house
The open house is set to begin at 10 a.m. at the school’s proposed site, 16 Route 111, Building 4. It will include a question-and-answer session and tours of the site, Chairwoman Wendie Leweck said.
Based on the surge in interest, the school for grades nine through 12 should easily reach its total enrollment of 160 students, or 40 students per grade, Leweck said.
Every day, Leweck said she is receiving a dozen or so emails and phone calls from parents interested in learning more about the academy. She added that she does her best to respond to the many inquiries.
Along with a core curriculum, the school will offer four major areas of the arts: dance, music (including voice), theater and visual arts.
Of the approximate $12,000 annual cost of educating a student, the school receives about $5,500 per pupil from the state. The remaining balance of federal money, however, doesn’t “follow” the student to the charter school but goes to the public school within the district that the student would have attended, she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: Are Republicans abandoning Obamacare as an issue? - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The race to be wrong on Ferguson - 11
- George Will: A massive state with no adult supervision - 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 6
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 28
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three teens sent to area hospitals after crash on Blackwater Road at Rochester-Dover border - 0
- Neighborhood group presents award to Manchester police - 0
- Good Samaritans track down man accused of stealing purse - 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS leads police to truck; vehicle breaks lead to arrest - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
- Red Sox held to one hit as Angels coast to win - 0
- Market Basket: Analysts point to debt - 0
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen