Granite State Arts Academy in Derry to host its third open house
The open house is set to begin at 10 a.m. at the school’s proposed site, 16 Route 111, Building 4. It will include a question-and-answer session and tours of the site, Chairwoman Wendie Leweck said.
Based on the surge in interest, the school for grades nine through 12 should easily reach its total enrollment of 160 students, or 40 students per grade, Leweck said.
Every day, Leweck said she is receiving a dozen or so emails and phone calls from parents interested in learning more about the academy. She added that she does her best to respond to the many inquiries.
Along with a core curriculum, the school will offer four major areas of the arts: dance, music (including voice), theater and visual arts.
Of the approximate $12,000 annual cost of educating a student, the school receives about $5,500 per pupil from the state. The remaining balance of federal money, however, doesn’t “follow” the student to the charter school but goes to the public school within the district that the student would have attended, she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pedestrian struck in Keene - 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 3
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 7
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four