Home » News » Public Safety
Patient's broken neck a mystery after Elliot Hospital fracas, arrest
"He had a broken neck when he left Valley Street jail," added Gosselin, 54, who lives in the same 479 Cilley Road apartment building as Ornelas' younger brother, John, and has known Fern Ornelas since sixth grade.
Gosselin's accounts provide the first indication of what happened to Fern Ornelas and his whereabouts since the morning of Oct. 17 when he did not appear for his arraignment in Manchester District Court on a misdemeanor simple assault charge.
"Everybody was hush, hush about it," he added.
Elliot Hospital said Ornelas returned by ambulance about 9:30 a.m. Oct. 17.
"He arrived in serious condition. The manner in which he sustained the injuries that required medical attention on the morning of...Oct. 17 is unknown to the Elliot."
Ornelas, who suffers from a mental health disability, "was off his meds. You could tell," said Gosselin, who said he was home at the time.
Ornelas was being held in the secure psychiatric evaluation unit when he allegedly became agitated and disrupted other patients, police said. When Bolduc attempted to walk him back to his room, he allegedly punched the officer repeatedly in the head. The two exchanged blows until Bolduc — using pepper spray — was able to get Ornelas to the floor, police said. Other security officers and Manchester Police Officer Paul Rondeau, who was working a paid security detail, helped restrain Ornelas as he continued to struggle, police said.
"Elliot is proud of our security officer in this case and the action he took to protect the lives of other patients and personnel in the emergency department," the hospital said.
"Obviously, we will review the arrest and his period of time in our custody. We have no reason to believe there was anything inappropriate that occurred while he was in our custody. We will review his stay with us to confirm that," Tessier said.
Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance and Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery A. Strelzin said their offices have received no requests so far to become involved in the case.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help