Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
AG investigates how man seeking psychiatric care came to be paralyzed while in custody
Ornelas came back to Elliot Hospital by ambulance from Hillsborough County jail in serious condition with a broken neck. He was transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston where he has been in the intensive care unit on a breathing tube for the last week, family members said.
The Attorney General's office will work with Hillsborough County Attorney's office and state police on the probe. It will begin once an investigative team is assembled, she said.
On Monday, Dionne said he was conducting an investigation and creating a timeline of events since Fern Ornelas was brought to Elliot Hospital emergency department the night of Oct. 15 for a mental health episode until the county jail sent him back to Elliot by ambulance sometime between 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Oct. 17.
Family members claim county corrections, police and Elliot have neither provided them nor MGH with information about when and how Fern Ornelas' neck was broken.
Pappas said commissioners would have to vote as a body to set a deadline on when Dionne must present the findings of his internal investigation and timeline to them.
Fern Ornelas is accused of attacking an Elliot security officer about 7:25 p.m. Oct. 16. He was a patient in the Elliot secure psychiatric evaluation unit waiting for a bed to open at New Hampshire Hospital, the state's acute psychiatric hospital.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 1
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 1
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
- Nine arrested in Ossipee drug sweep - 0
- Litchfield woman charged in theft at local grocery store - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus