action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
STANIN

Dominick Stanin

Aug 21, 2014

Andre S. Watson

Andre S. Watson

Aug 14, 2014

Jose Alberto Miranda

Jose Alberto Miranda

Jul 24, 2014

Juan Sanchez-Rodriguez

Juan Sanchez-Rodriguez

Jul 16, 2014

Home » News » Crime

October 24. 2013 1:03AM

Man accused of writing racist comments indicted


STEVENS 

CONCORD — The former Concord resident who is accused of writing racist comments in permanent marker on four homes of African immigrants was indicted by the October Merrimack County Grand Jury on a special felony of criminal mischief.

Raymond Stevens, 32, now of 22 Church St., Pembroke,  is accused of writing the comments on the siding of homes at 3 Perley St., 35 Downing St., 50 Perley St., and 28 Thompson St.

The indictment alleges Stevens “was substantially motivated because of hostility towards the race and national origin of the victims who lived in said homes.”

Stevens is accused of acting purposely in writing the offensive comments in black permanent marker on the homes, causing financial damage in excess of $1,500.

The indictment alleges he committed the criminal mischief on three homes Sept. 18, 2011, and on the fourth home Aug. 5, 2012.

When Stevens was arrested earlier this month, he was only charged with writing on the three homes in 2011, although police said they believed he was responsible for the 2012 writing.

Because his conduct was allegedly motivated by his hostility and hatred for the victims' race and national origin, if he is convicted, he is eligible for enhanced penalties under the special felony offense statute. He could be sentenced to 10 to 30 years in state prison.

At the time of his arrest, police said analysis of Stevens' handwriting on a gun license application tied him to the first three incidents, but that handwriting experts could not conclusively match that graffiti to Stevens' handwriting.

A self-employed tattoo artist who owned The Tattomb tattoo parlor in Nashua, Stevens could enter no plea to the single felony charge at his video arraignment Oct. 15 in 6th Circuit District Court in Concord

Judge M. Kristin Spath set bail at $8,000 cash or surety at that hearing. Following the indictment, Stevens will be arraigned in Merrimack County Superior Court, where new bail may be set.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
  • Yes
  • 83%
  • No
  • 17%
  • Total Votes: 917

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events