Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
No answers given for broken neck after Elliot Hospital incident
"What we want is the truth. That's all I want is the truth. I don't want somebody pulling my friggin' leg all the time," Ornelas added.
At the time, no one told her or other family members Ornelas allegedly attacked a security officer about 7:25 p.m. Oct. 16 and the two exchanged punches in the secure psychiatric unit until the guard subdued Ornelas.
In statements issued this week, Elliot said how Ornelas sustained the injuries "is unknown to us."
Fern Ornelas remains on a breathing tube at Massachusetts General Hospital where doctors there also have tried to learn when his neck broke because the length of time that elapsed from the time he was injured to when he arrived at the Boston hospital is crucial to determine the extent of damage and a prognosis, John Ornelas said.
The incident has incited an outcry in the community where Fern Ornelas is a friendly, familiar figure to many on the East Side. The 1977 Memorial High School graduate's standout pitching won him a college scholarship. He also golfs regularly at Derryfield Country Club where he is a member. He worked part time as seafood manager at Shaw's Supermarket on South Willow Street until he was laid off when the store closed this summer, friends said.
Fern Ornelas is being held without bail and remains under corrections department custody.
Elliot Hospital said it has an "excellent relationship" with Boston hospitals and defended security officer Lawrence Bolduc for using proper training tactics to subdue Ornelas and "protect the lives" of other patients and staff in the emergency department.
"There might have been one or two incidents where they had to sedate him or put him in restraints. They've dealt with it and nobody got hurt. What's the difference now?" he asked.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Man, woman charged in 3 Kensington burglaries - 1
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 1
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- Anderson lewdness trial is delayed - 5
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
- PSNH on defense over scrubber cost 'escalation' - 3
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424