Home » Opinion » Editorials
NH GOP hopes The promise of 2014
The partial government shutdown was a big political loser for the GOP, but New Hampshire Republicans still have reason to be hopeful. Recent polls suggest that they have real opportunities, if only they can make the most of them.
As at the national level, Republicans in New Hampshire have a penchant for producing self-inflicted wounds. Fortunately for them, so do the Democrats. Two of their self-inflicted wounds are currently serving in Congress.
Neither Rep. Carol Shea-Porter nor Rep. Annie Kuster is popular. (Kuster's favorability rating was down to only 23 percent in last week's UNH poll.) Though Republicans have to answer for the shutdown, Democrats have to answer for Obamacare and the economy.
The toxic touch of Obamacare was made clear this week when Sen. Jeanne Shaheen came out in favor of delaying the open enrollment deadline. Shaheen is another New Hampshire Democrat not doing so well these days.
The 2014 elections are looking bad for Democrats. Republicans even have a shot against Gov. Maggie Hassan. As always, they will need quality candidates. This is where they tend to wound themselves. If only they can avoid bad choices. But that is a big if.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you