Home » Opinion » Editorials
NH GOP hopes The promise of 2014
The partial government shutdown was a big political loser for the GOP, but New Hampshire Republicans still have reason to be hopeful. Recent polls suggest that they have real opportunities, if only they can make the most of them.
As at the national level, Republicans in New Hampshire have a penchant for producing self-inflicted wounds. Fortunately for them, so do the Democrats. Two of their self-inflicted wounds are currently serving in Congress.
Neither Rep. Carol Shea-Porter nor Rep. Annie Kuster is popular. (Kuster's favorability rating was down to only 23 percent in last week's UNH poll.) Though Republicans have to answer for the shutdown, Democrats have to answer for Obamacare and the economy.
The toxic touch of Obamacare was made clear this week when Sen. Jeanne Shaheen came out in favor of delaying the open enrollment deadline. Shaheen is another New Hampshire Democrat not doing so well these days.
The 2014 elections are looking bad for Democrats. Republicans even have a shot against Gov. Maggie Hassan. As always, they will need quality candidates. This is where they tend to wound themselves. If only they can avoid bad choices. But that is a big if.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride