John Stossel: The flood of federal spending continues
Yet when Congress and President Obama agreed on a deal last week to raise the debt ceiling and resume government spending, people reacted as if a disaster was averted — instead of reacting as if a disaster had resumed. It has. And it continues.
As with alcoholics, there's a deeper problem here. It's not just that America is addicted to debt. Everyone agrees we should pay our bills, just not when or how. The deeper addiction is to government.
I'd forgotten that when Obama campaigned for the presidency, he was very upset about his predecessor's deficits. Sen. Obama complained, "The way Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the bank of China. ... We now have over $9 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back. ... That is irresponsible."
John Stossel is host of "Stossel" on the Fox Business Network, and the author of "No They Can't! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
- Pat Buchanan: What would Reagan do with Russia, Syria, etc.? - 5
- Deroy Murdock: Wisconsin's Scott Walker calmly leads the way - 4
- Another View - Pam Hunt and Loren Valliere: Local steps can fight climate change in NH - 20
- Another View -- Nick Pappas: NH teens, young adults will be hurt by a minimum wage hike - 7
- Another View -- Michelline Dufort: Consumers would save if PSNH sold its power plants - 0
- Fergus Cullen -- Innis: school to business to Congress? - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Track Preview: Jenkins paces defending champ North - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 7
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 2
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 1
- 9th-inning error sends Red Sox to third straight loss - 0
Manchester settles with federal civil rights agency over minority students in advanced courses
Lawmakers fight to find Medicaid fix
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers