Epping Elementary Honor Society collects for overseas troops
They were so excited to collect stocking stuffers to send to American troops overseas for Christmas that they launched a drive before the induction ceremony.
They filled several boxes with everything from gum, breath mints and tea bags to nail clippers, boxes of cookies and small bottles of hand sanitizer.
“Talk about patriotism. I’m speechless,” she said.
The students hope their effort will inspire other kids to help out the troops who will be away for the upcoming holidays.
The students seemed to take the donation deadline seriously.
Honor Society member Owen Hayes, 10, said the students split up into groups to collect the items from preschool to grade five.
Meghan Murphy, 10, said she was also surprised by the number of items collected.
The group’s advisor, first-grade teacher Phyllis Mahalaris, said she was amazed by how the students came together to pull off the drive so quickly.
“They did this all in one week. They rallied together,” she said. “We knew when we first met with them as a group that they were a very special group. They are enthusiastic. They are hard-working, they are creative. They just have a lot of good ideas.”
“They’re far away from home at the holidays and this is a way to help them a little bit and give the kids a chance to do something that’s within their powers,” he said.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.