Common Core talk is pointed in Epping
The goal was to establish one set of clear educational expectations for English language arts/literacy and mathematics that states can share and voluntarily adopt.
Stotsky said she was one of five members who refused to sign off on the standards, arguing there are many flaws. Among other things, she said the college readiness standards and others were not developed using “real world experience” and won’t prepare students for “authentic” college coursework.
Stotsky also said the standards themselves are poorly written and “approach gibberish.”
“Common core really is a path to nowhere when it comes to mathematics,” said Jamie Gass, director of the Center for School Reform at the Pioneer Institute in Boston, Speaker Greg Hill, who formerly served on the House Education Committee, reiterated comments made by others who called Common Core an “experiment” on children.
“The more people that show up the more power we have,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 5
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014