Common Core talk is pointed in Epping
The goal was to establish one set of clear educational expectations for English language arts/literacy and mathematics that states can share and voluntarily adopt.
Stotsky said she was one of five members who refused to sign off on the standards, arguing there are many flaws. Among other things, she said the college readiness standards and others were not developed using “real world experience” and won’t prepare students for “authentic” college coursework.
Stotsky also said the standards themselves are poorly written and “approach gibberish.”
“Common core really is a path to nowhere when it comes to mathematics,” said Jamie Gass, director of the Center for School Reform at the Pioneer Institute in Boston, Speaker Greg Hill, who formerly served on the House Education Committee, reiterated comments made by others who called Common Core an “experiment” on children.
“The more people that show up the more power we have,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 4
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
- City health costs: Wellness coordinator is no fix - 1
- R.I.P., Tom Brennan: A good manager and better man - 2
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales