Common Core talk is pointed in Epping
The goal was to establish one set of clear educational expectations for English language arts/literacy and mathematics that states can share and voluntarily adopt.
Stotsky said she was one of five members who refused to sign off on the standards, arguing there are many flaws. Among other things, she said the college readiness standards and others were not developed using “real world experience” and won’t prepare students for “authentic” college coursework.
Stotsky also said the standards themselves are poorly written and “approach gibberish.”
“Common core really is a path to nowhere when it comes to mathematics,” said Jamie Gass, director of the Center for School Reform at the Pioneer Institute in Boston, Speaker Greg Hill, who formerly served on the House Education Committee, reiterated comments made by others who called Common Core an “experiment” on children.
“The more people that show up the more power we have,” he said.
- New Belmont principal excited to move to NH - 0
- 2 finalists for Central High principal to meet public Wednesday - 0
- Nashua board to hear about new writing course - 0
- Plymouth High student upholds family tradition - 0
- VEX robotics teams practice for world championships - 0
- Nashua Library celebrates reading with edible book contest - 0
- Londonderry students serve slices for charity - 0
- All felony convictions requested in Manchester school background checks - 1
- Manchester schools told to increase minority AP enrollment - 4
At presentation at Manchester firm Dyn, middle schoolers learn STEAM Ahead could lead to cool careerREADER COMMENTS: 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 1
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 2
- Northfield man presumed dead after 'Polar Plunge' in Bristol - 3
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 0
- Police accuse man of trying to sell guitars, amps taken in Manchester burglary - 0
- Mother and child startled by late-night intruder in their Manchester living room - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers