NHIAA Field Hockey: Derryfield, Gilford, Berlin advance
Kelsey Buckley scored on a penalty stroke eight minutes in and then tallied again 7:00 before the half, this time assisted by Rachel Blandford. Logan Baxter scored an insurance goal in the second half for Gilford and goalkeeper Ashlyn Miller was not required to make any saves in the shutout.
Derryfield 3, Stevens 0: Top-ranked and unbeaten Derryfield continued its march through the postseason with a 3-0 quarterfinal victory over Stevens of Claremont Saturday.
Colbi Vaillancourt had two goals for the Cougars, one unassisted eight minutes into the first half and another, assisted by Polly Carter, with two minutes to go in the game. Sandwiched between those was an unassisted tally by Lainee Shaughnessy in the game’s 11th minute.
Goalie Kate Johnson turned away four Stevens shots behind a Derryfield defense led by Theo O’Leary, Cat Green and Mary Quinn.
It was the second tournament shutout for the Cougars, who were 6-0 winners in the first round against Mascoma Valley last week.
Derryfield’s semifinal opponent is fourth-seeded Hopkinton, Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Exeter High School.
Berlin 4, Littleton 0: At Berlin, sophomore Jensyn Dandeneau scored three goals and assisted on another as third-seeded Berlin advanced to the semifinals of the Division III tournament.Myra Arsenault also scored for Berlin.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 7
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 1
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 3
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options