NH ospreys survive S. American migration
This fall, so far so good for Artoo the osprey, being held here by Dr. Rob Bierregaard this summer after being fitted with a GPS tracking device.
Sadly, one of the four, a juvenile female named Weber, left her nest in Hampton Harbor on Sept. 6 and made an uninterrupted flight to Venezuela, but after her signal stopped on Sept. 29, researchers assume she perished. The fifth tagged osprey, an adult male named Mackenzie, died before leaving New Hampshire on the shore of Head Pond in Berlin, likely the victim of a predator. Researchers recovered his remains in October.
Donovan is the third adult male osprey to have survived the journey. Donovan is the father of two juveniles, Jill and Chip, who were followed, but perished, last year. Donovan departed New Hampshire on Sept. 17, eventually flew to the Virgin Islands but flew back to Puerto Rico where he fished for about a week before venturing south to St. Croix and a 660-mile nonstop trip from the Caribbean to Venezuela. MacLeod said Donovan is a mature bird who has made this migration several times.
Readers can follow the continuing journeys of Artoo, Bergen and Donovan on MacLeod's blog at nhnature/org/programs/project_ospreytrack/ or via MacLeod's Twitter feed, @OspreyNH.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ceremony marks completion of Stark Park renovations - 0
- Manchester festival marks being half way to St. Patrick's Day - 0
- Conservation groups join forces to protect Chocorua Lake Basin - 0
- Volunteers spruce up Greenfield State Park to celebrate its 50th anniversary - 0
- Hollis Old Home Day draws community crowd to weekend of fun, games - 0
- NH Senior Briefs: Alzheimer's education seminar Sept. 20 in Rochester - 0
- Lincoln's Highland Games time to celebrate all things Scottish - 0
- Clashing school buses and decent weather draw crowds to Rochester Fair - 0
- Troy man's heroic actions honored with monument 51 years later - 0
Win tickets to see Eric Church
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Strategery: A war by any other name
Mom of injured child voices safety concerns
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Public be damned: Litchfield latest example