NH ospreys survive S. American migration
This fall, so far so good for Artoo the osprey, being held here by Dr. Rob Bierregaard this summer after being fitted with a GPS tracking device.
Sadly, one of the four, a juvenile female named Weber, left her nest in Hampton Harbor on Sept. 6 and made an uninterrupted flight to Venezuela, but after her signal stopped on Sept. 29, researchers assume she perished. The fifth tagged osprey, an adult male named Mackenzie, died before leaving New Hampshire on the shore of Head Pond in Berlin, likely the victim of a predator. Researchers recovered his remains in October.
Donovan is the third adult male osprey to have survived the journey. Donovan is the father of two juveniles, Jill and Chip, who were followed, but perished, last year. Donovan departed New Hampshire on Sept. 17, eventually flew to the Virgin Islands but flew back to Puerto Rico where he fished for about a week before venturing south to St. Croix and a 660-mile nonstop trip from the Caribbean to Venezuela. MacLeod said Donovan is a mature bird who has made this migration several times.
Readers can follow the continuing journeys of Artoo, Bergen and Donovan on MacLeod's blog at nhnature/org/programs/project_ospreytrack/ or via MacLeod's Twitter feed, @OspreyNH.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mount Jasper work celebrated with trailhead ceremony - 0
- Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future - 2
- Inaugural 'Mushtoberfest' a howling success at Jericho Mountain State Park - 0
- NH Senior News: Maple Suites in Dover hosting free seminar to look at cost of dementia care - 0
- Not-so-scary fun at Hudson's Kiwanis PumpkinFest - 0
- Woman donates cleaning services to cancer patients - 0
- Keene 'Dump Derby' participants pick up 20,000 pumpkins - 0
- Taking pride in their recovery - 0
- Route 101 In Auburn Renamed For 101st Airborne 'Screaming Eagles' - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
A sad dog story, borders and Ebola
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy
After riots, soul-searching begins